Nominate West Virginia Lock Up in the Best New and Best Law Blogs

The 2009 Weblog Awards
Whoever happens to stop by this blog may wonder why I started it. Whenever I read news stories online I always like to put a face to the story. So I got to thinking maybe other people would as well. I always keep up on WV news and most stories don't have the mugshots with them so I hunt them up online and post them with the story. It's not that hard and I don't know why the state news sites don't do it

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Taylor County tax deputy pleads guilty

GRAFTON -- A former Taylor County chief tax deputy has pleaded guilty to embezzling from the county. At Kay Thorn's arraignment Thursday afternoon she withdrew her prior not guilty plea and entered a guilty plea. "I took the money to gamble sir," Thorn said in court. Judge John Henning, who was appointed by the state Supreme Court, accepted Thorn's plea. Special Prosecutor E. Lynn Phillips, from Barbour County, recommended probation for Thorn pending a favorable presentence investigation. Thorn's sentence will most likely include some kind of restitution, officials say. Sentencing in scheduled for Dec. 3. An audit showed that $114,068.75 went missing between August 2004 and March 2009. Thorn worked in courthouse for 33 years.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP