Nominate West Virginia Lock Up in the Best New and Best Law Blogs

The 2009 Weblog Awards
Whoever happens to stop by this blog may wonder why I started it. Whenever I read news stories online I always like to put a face to the story. So I got to thinking maybe other people would as well. I always keep up on WV news and most stories don't have the mugshots with them so I hunt them up online and post them with the story. It's not that hard and I don't know why the state news sites don't do it

Sunday, November 22, 2009

2 suspects surrender

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Two suspects in what police described as the "gruesome" killing of South Charleston resident James Andrew Gillespie are now in custody after each turned himself in to police in separate circumstances without incident Saturday.

South Charleston Police Sgt. Michael Greathouse said a lawyer for Michael Thompson called early Saturday to say his client wanted to turn himself in. Greathouse was one of four officers who went to an address on Pinch Street in South Charleston to get Thompson.

"I don't know what connection the house had to anyone, but we were told he would be waiting on the steps," Greathouse said.

He also said the suspect, who is 18, had nothing to say, acting on the advice of his lawyer.

Police continued to search for the second suspect, Jimmy Eugene Thompson, 19, of 505 E St., South Charleston, hours after the first turned himself in.

But negotiations resulted in Jimmy Thompson turning himself in a few hours later. The two men are not related.

South Charleston Police Chief Brad Rinehart said that he and other officers had been negotiating with "mutual parties" to have the second Thompson turn himself in.

Rinehart said, "I want to reassure neighbors in that area that this was an isolated incident. The detective bureau has been working around the clock, and this shows their dedication."

Rinehart said Jimmy Thompson will be arraigned and likely taken to the South Central Regional Jail.

Police think both men knew Gillespie, who was found dead in his Macon Street home in South Charleston on Friday.

Police say both men had been in the victim's home earlier in the day drinking, according to a report Detective A.R. Gordon filed in Kanawha County Magistrate's Court after the first suspect was arrested.

A witness told police the men "were going to steal the victim's prescription medication." According to the police report, as soon as the victim realized his prescription drugs could be stolen, one suspect punched the victim in the face.

The witness who later contacted police fled as soon as he saw a suspect punch the victim, according to the same report.

Detective J.D. Gray of the South Charleston Police Department said a medical examiner performed an autopsy on Gillespie on Saturday, but he declined to give details.

According to Gordon's report in Magistrate's Court, Gillespie had been beaten and stabbed numerous times. After an appearance before a magistrate, Michael Thompson was taken to the South Central Regional Jail where he was being held without bond on a murder charge.

Jimmy Thompson

Michael Thompson


  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by 2008

Back to TOP