Nominate West Virginia Lock Up in the Best New and Best Law Blogs

The 2009 Weblog Awards
Whoever happens to stop by this blog may wonder why I started it. Whenever I read news stories online I always like to put a face to the story. So I got to thinking maybe other people would as well. I always keep up on WV news and most stories don't have the mugshots with them so I hunt them up online and post them with the story. It's not that hard and I don't know why the state news sites don't do it

Thursday, November 5, 2009

Man charged with kidnapping and grand larceny


CHARLESTON, W.Va.- A man from Charleston is facing several charges after police say he tried to steal a car with four children inside.

The alleged incident happened at the One Stop at 129 Lee Street West in Charleston.

Police say Jonathan Martin jumped into Stephanie Medford's car, which was parked at the One Stop. The vehicle was running with the keys in the ignition.

According to the criminal complaint, when Martin tried to put the car into drive, Medford's 9-year-old son grabbed the keys and pulled them out of the ignition. That's when police say Martin punched the boy in the face.

Martin tried to run, but he tripped and was later found lying in the parking lot across the street.

Martin was arrested and charged with grand larceny and four counts of kidnapping.

According to the criminal complaint, Martin told the arresting officer, "I was trying to take the car, I know I'm stupid."

"I'm guilty, I tried to steal the car," Martin told the officer. "I knew the kids were there, sorry."

Medford's three-year-old, 19-month-old and four-month-old were also in the car at the time of the incident.

Martin was arraigned on the charges Thursday morning.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP